Travel notes from two vegetarians exploring Japan
Monday 20th of May 2013 08:35:55 PM
Domo arigato gozaimasu! Thank you very much!
Kenneth Goldberg and Kathryn Kefauver Goldberg (November 2007)
In October and November 2007, Ken and Kathryn took a wonderful trip to Japan. Part work and part play, the trip started in the northern city of Sapporo, and ended with eight great days in Kyoto.
Strict vegetarians travelling in Japan (just like anywhere, really) need to know a few basics in order to stay happy and well fed. We had such a great time and found so many wonderful, healthy meals, that we decided to write about our experiences and the places we visited.
We owe a special debt of gratitude to every one who helped us along the way. There were many kind Japanese people who pointed us in the right direction, gave advice, translated menus, opened their doors to us, and made us beautiful vegetarian meals that we'll never forget.
Places we wentThe entries are roughly chronological. You can Start Here in Sapporo, if you'd like.
- 01. Underground Korean food (Sapporo)
- 02. A tofu feast at ToToTo ととと (Sapporo)
- 03. Indian Oasis: Taj Mahal (Sapporo)
- 04. CTS New Chitose Airport (Sapporo)
- 05. Shojin Ryori at Kodaiji Ikkyu-an (高台寺一休庵)
- 06. Street Treats: Kiyumizu-dera
- 07. Lunch at Kodaiji-Hashiba (Higashiyama)
- 08. Miko-an, we love you 彌光庵 (Downtown)
- 09. Foxiness: Fushimi-Inari Taisha 伏見稲荷大社
- 10. Street Treats: Fushimi Inari
- 11. Yak and Yeti (Downtown)
- 12. The Nishiki-Koji Food Market 錦市場 or 錦小路 (Downtown)
- 13. Tosai we miss you
- 14. Café Angelina (Downtown)
- 15. Sette Italian (Hyatt Regency)
- 16. Tofu Restaurants: You're on Notice
- 17. Traditional Lunch at Jyun-Sei Across from Nanzenji
- 18. Street Treats on the Philosopher's Walk: Tetsugaku no michi
- 19. Where would we be without Sizuya Bakery 志津屋 (everywhere)
- 20. Kyoto's (very) Little Italy
- 21. Biotei, Lunch 3x: Mo Ichi-do (Downtown)
- 22. 844 Store No More (Downtown)
- 23. Street Treats in Arashiyama
- 24. Seizanso-do yodofu 西山艸堂 (Arashiyama)
- 25. Veggie Table big salads (Downtown)
- 26. Pontocho Uzuki. A special Kaiseki meal
- 27. Co*Myon: Korean food on Pontocho
- 28. KIX to SFO
- 29. Thank you!
Kind readers: In case you find any spelling mistakes, broken links, or errors in the Japanese, please contact us using the links on the top right. Thank you! (c) 2008 Kenneth Goldberg and Kathryn Kefauver Goldberg